Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Follow the Gender Brick Road

The people of American society vary on how aware they are of modern media’s definitions of gender and how comfortable they are with defying those expectations.  A majority do not avidly scorn the media, but rather choose to conform to the typecasts it depicts.  Media sources would not be making as much money as they do if this were not the case.

The main appeal of subscribing to stereotyped gender traits, it seems, is that it provides us with tangible standards to evaluate ourselves with – we want to know where we stand compared to others, and specific changes we can make to attain our lifestyle or relationship goals.  We find comfort in what appears to give us control over our lives.  The desire to be accepted and appreciated is not an uncommon one, and conformity is usually sought out for this particular means.  If a straight man, who is adept at barbequing, reads in his men’s magazine that women are very impressed by that particular skill, his confidence will likely be boosted.  Accepting gender generalizations can be appealing when it comes to interacting with the opposite sex.  It is tempting to think that one can obtain all the answers.

Below are four magazine covers: two of the most popular women's magazines and two of the most popular men's magazines.  All are from this month's issues.  They are linked to their corresponding websites to truly demonstrate the stark differences in the cults of masculinity and femininity.

Cosmo's top three highlights are "sex & love," "hair & beauty," and "celebs & style."

Glamour's most prized subjects are very similar to Cosmo's: "fashion," "beauty," and "sex, love & life."

According to Maxim, men are most interested in hot girls and gaming.

Men's magazine defines a man's world by "sports, fitness, health, nutrition, style and sex."

Now I would like to expose how these men's magazines spread myths which they claim to be true about all women, since I happen to be one, with an example from each.
  • "Always imagined that two girls would be better than one? So has she." -Maxim
    • The all-encompassing "she" has, you say? Think again.
  • "When a woman tosses, flips, or plays with her hair, it's a universal sign of flirting." -Men's Fitness
    • I have noticed myself playing with my hair even when I am on my own.  Who exactly am I flirting with then?

2 comments:

  1. "I have noticed myself playing with my hair even when I am on my own. Who exactly am I flirting with then?"

    No one, but the change in context of fidgeting by yourself versus fidgeting in a social setting can result in different meanings of body language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point. I suppose I should add that I play with my hair in social settings where I am not romantically interested in anyone present. One might argue that I could still subconsciously be trying to vie for the men's attention in those instances, but I even mess with my hair while with only girl friends, as well.

    I agree that there are women who toss, flip, and play with their hair as they flirt, but to claim that such body language is a "universal sign of flirting" is unreasonable.

    ReplyDelete